Friday, June 13, 2008

"Mamma Mia" and "Chicago" - The shocking truth!

I didn't expect to see so many West End musicals during my stay in London. They might kick me out of the elitist theatre snob club for this. However, I have learned a great deal from a lot of these experiences. These two musicals offered the biggest surprises.
I went to see "Mamma Mia" last night with relatively low expectations. I anticipated the simplistic plot, the corny dialogue, the overall campiness of the whole production. By the end of the show, the whole audience is on their feet dancing and having a great time and I must admit I was one of the jubilant crowd. (I mean, how can you NOT dance when you hear ABBA?) I was alarmed, though, by the blatant amorality of the whole show. This story (and I suppose I should use that term loosely) took place on a Greek island where there truly are no rules. The climax of the play consisted of the romantic leads dodging all responsibility and commitment in order to just go out and have a good time and the show was laced with sexual humor that was clearly there only to keep the audience (and the actors, no doubt) titillated. What truly bothered me about this show is that in the fanciful world of Greek resorts, ABBA music, and never-ending dance numbers, there are no consequences for one's actions. For that would get in the way of the fun. By the end, you get caught up in said fun so long as you check any morals at the door. They won't be challenged and there really isn't anything offensive in the show, but there is nothing real about it. I found myself dancing and singing along, but wondering what it was we were celebrating? Was it virtue? No. Was it iniquity? No. It was hollow, devoid of meaning. Pure fun. Perhaps it has its place, but I left the theater feeling not enriched or enlightened, but not offended or conflicted either. It was emptiness. When the ABBA music stops playing, you have nothing.
This afternoon I had a very different experience. Based mostly on the recommendation of a friend, I decided to see "Chicago" and was still unsure about that decision as the overture started to play. However, I was thoroughly impressed by what I saw. Here was a superbly written, brilliantly staged, and wonderfully acted piece of theatre that had something to say. I won't go into what that was (I'll let you go see the production yourself...with my recommendation) but I can say that it was an enriching, enlightening, and (dare I say) uplifting experience. Theatre should be a discussion. Maybe I agree with you, maybe I don't. But whatever you do, be responsible. Acknowledge that what comes up must come down. Be brave and say what you want to say well. We don't need any more lukewarm "Mamma Mia" experiences, as fun as they may be. I mean, that's what the ABBA Gold CD is for, right?

No comments: