Sunday, June 8, 2008

Checkpoint Four

Another great week of theatre. Let's see what young Matthew learned this week...
ROMEO AND JULIET - I've found that I would rather a director give me a straightforward interpretation of a text than a half-baked "progressive" production. This production tried to be more than it obviously could be. I did appreciate seeing actors performing in the rain. The show must go on, right?
BRIEF ENCOUNTER - This reaffirmed for me the joy of theatre. It incorporated so many things and the several elements came together to make a great night of theatre.
THE MERCHANT OF VENICE - Another lame Shakespeare interpretation. Although I don't think this had to do with treatment of a classical text. Really it went back to the complete lack of a director's concept. Moments were cool, but nothing unified them. Thus, it left most of us pretty cold.
TAMING OF THE SHREW - This was the first time I've seen a director do something responsible with this text. The sexism inherent in the play is disgusting and this production didn't shy away from that. Courage! Courage is essential for great theatre.
MAJOR BARBARA - Shaw has a way of making you question everything you hold to be true. This production was quite strong and was staged in such a way that the themes of the brilliant play came through loud and clear. It was great to see someone tackle a text in a new way.
THE VORTEX - I love Noel Coward. The set was hideous but I saw how strong actors giving a straightforward performance of a great play makes for great theatre.
THE DEEP BLUE SEA - I don't think the actors quite understood this text. They were all (well, mostly all) great actors but it just wasn't quite the right fit. It was, however, a thoroughly enjoyable production.

No comments: