Monday, June 16, 2008

Hostel Environment

I'm staying in a hostel for my last few days in London. I came here with a good deal of trepidation. I have heard as many horror stories as the next guy and have known some pretty unsavory people who swear by them. And one has to wonder how can they keep the prices so darn low anyway. As I discussed in my last post I'm quite alone here which honestly doesn't scare me...But if some hostel owners killed me in my sleep to sell my liver on Craig's List there wouldn't be anybody around to do a thing about it.
BUT I checked in nonetheless. Upon receiving my key I was given a list of good pubs, a coupon for the bar they have conveniently located here at the hostel, an invitation to join them on a tour of London's best pubs, and the assurance that drinking is more than welcome on the premises. (As if I hadn't figured that out already.)
All things considered, I suppose I'd be making more friends (since that's what hostels are for, right?) if I were indeed a drinker like the rest of this crowd seems to be. It's a very social environment as long as you're ten sheets to the wind. Me, I leave in the morning and come back late at night to sleep in my bed-cubicle. It's not a bad existence for a couple days and, hey, for twenty pounds a night who can complain? Still, it's a strange place. I avoid it as much as possible. In the meantime, if you happen to see any bits or pieces of me for sale on eBay, put in a good bid.
I'll be home tomorrow.

No comments: