Saturday, May 3, 2008

I heart good theatre.

Honestly, I feel like I've been in the wrong places my whole life. This city is full of wonderful theatre. I've seen six shows so far, all of which have been incredible theatrical experiences. The first two were previously mentioned. Last night I saw "Small Change" at the Donmar warehouse which was absolutely beautiful. I felt like fully grasping and comprehending that play is like trying to get a drink of water from a fire hose. There was so much to take in and it was a very enriching experience.
This afternoon we saw a matinee of two Pinter plays: "The Lover" and "The Collection." Pinter is one of my favorite playwrights and today's performances reaffirmed that love. He is incredible. Then we saw the RSC's production of "Richard III" which took me places I didn't think Shakespearian histories could. I'm not quite able to formulate an intelligible response to what I saw. It was simply (and literally) breathtaking.
There are some girls on this trip who have heard a few choice remarks escape my lips out of context who I am afraid seem to think I am some edgy, rebellious maverick which simply is not the case. (I'm sure most of my closest acquaintances could attest to that.) Hopefully soon they'll realize how utterly dull I really am. Then all will be well.
London contiues to astound me with its universal beauty and high "coolness factor" and I am so happy to be here. Life is good. Next week: more shows!

1 comment:

alyx said...

Yay! Sounds like you're having a grand time in England! You've seen so many plays it's outrageous. I would die but I'm sure you're loving it. Can't wait to hear more about your adventures.

ps. you... rebellious? not at all ever.