Saturday, May 24, 2008

Checkpoint Two

Alright, my theatre education continues...
A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM - This was a staging that made me feel completely differently about this script. It was imaginative but didn't shove anything don your throat. It goes to show that theatre really is about play.
THE BIRD SANCTUARY - This script was not my favorite. The dialogue was indicative and the plot made little sense at all. When I surrendered my personal taste and allowed it to remain what it was rather than living up to my expectations I enjoyed it a bit more. I learned from this that you need to start with a good script and that we all have different tastes. ("Time Out" loved this play...go figure.)
THE BIRTHDAY PARTY - The staying power of good writers! Take that, nay-sayers! I was so happy to see this production and learned what "Pinteresque" really means.
FRAM - What you say shouldn't be obscured y how you say it. What this play had to say was significant but the manner in which it went about it was painful to sit through. It certainly made me think, though, about what power (if any) that the arts have in tackling real issues.
HELLO AND GOODBYE - A tight script and strong performances are thrilling. This play was centered on a relationship and two people driving very hard for two different things. What is more basic than that? And what could be better?
MICHAEL FRAYN LECTURE - Don't be afraid of failure, work hard, have fun, keep your feet on the ground.
THE PITMEN PAINTERS - Being a part of the target audience is good. I wasn't a part of this play's target audience and it showed. However, it was a good show. I learned, though, not to make things too easy. Don't broadcast your agenda for all the world to see. Just explore a theme.
GONE WITH THE WIND - Ummmm...This just wasn't very good. I saw the importance of slowing down to let your characters talk and let the audience get to know them. Otherwise, frankly, no one gives a damn.
GOD OF CARNAGE - I love plays where interesting people are thrown into an intimate setting and a sort of cage match ensues. This makes for great drama. I also learned that some of the most interesting characters are those who build up walls that get torn down as the story progresses, letting you see glimpses at a time of the real person lurking below.
ASPECTS OF LOVE - A soaring score paired with a soap opera plot. It was beautiful but I felt a little irresponsible loving it as much as I did. The moral implications of the story were kind of repulsive but I got caught up in the music and enjoyed myself. I guess it goes to show the power of music, even to the point of being deceptive.
THE CHERRY ORCHARD - Chekhov needs to be slow! This show could have been great instead of good if they just took their time. It was very good though.
WICKED - This show demonstrated the commercialization of avant garde theatre movements of the last hundred years. It was a little disturbing even, seeing the principles of epic theatre, expressionism, and the like exploited so drastically. Still, it was a good show and I'll have to make fun of it a LITTLE less now.
LIFECOACH - This was a delightful sweet comedy that shows how comedy can mollify an audience an prepare them to receive a very meaningful message. Good times.

1 comment:

@emllewellyn said...

Don't give a damn. That's clever.

Chris Clark and I were talking about "Wicked" last night. We're already planning to play "spot that gay guy" in the audience when we (are forced to) go see it, just to make the time pass a little less excruciatingly.