Friday, February 1, 2008

Ugh...

It's time to vent. Indulge me...

Note to self: always be a problem SOLVER. This has been building up for quite some time and is usually compounded in gatherings accompanied by large quantities of sighs, small voices, complaints, and forlorn looks. I don't know why people continually see the need to find the problems in a situation and ignore any possible solutions. To those of you whose laundry lists of grievances include no plans for improvement I invoke the immortal words of The Eagles: "Get over it!"

On an unrelated note, can we please stop masking inadequacy with weirdness? I suppose a theatre major sees this more than most but I do not like the reputation the marginal few (or at least I HOPE they're not the majority) give to the "artsy fartsy" crowd. You can usually spot a bad actor/writer/director/etc. simply by looking for the one who can't fit in at parties. Yes, I know artists have a right to a sampling of eccentricities and I know that I am not the most normal man you'll find. But might we abandon the false notion that such abnormalities define our artistic merit? The argument could be made to the contrary. Please no more ridiculous outfits to try and stand out, no more strange outbursts in crowded restaraunts, no more belting "Wicked" at inopportune times. If you're an artist your work will speak for itself. If you're not...well, maybe that's why you're singing "Wicked." (Was that mean? It really is directed at no one in particular. Except perhaps Winnie Holzman.)

And finally, can we all stop being so cynical? I was talking to a friend the other day who couldn't understand how Oprah earned the respect she has. He was convinced that everything the woman does it a marketing ploy and that her activist humanitarian stance is merely a facade to keep herself in her position of power. You know, I don't know Oprah. Frankly, I don't think I've ever watched an entire episode of her television show. But why should we, a people who claim to be anxiously engaged in a good cause, tear down those who appear to be doing just that. Oprah doesn't have the market cornered on this. Anyone in the public eye who sets out on any altruistic endeavor has his or her motives immediately called into question. We scrutinize those people who are affecting positive social change more than anyone else, it seems. I'd like to, once again, throw in my two cents here: leave them alone. There's enough garbage to clean up and anyone engaged in doing what's right is at least going in the right direction. Let's be positive? Okay.

2 comments:

Laura said...

h- i agree with you about the people who complain about things, or whenever they meet someone they try to fit into conversation how life has been bad for them lately.. but sometimes people just need to vent. i agree that people should get it all out and then say, 'what next'? What am I supposed to get out of this? What can I do about it? Does it even merit concern at all? (let me tell you, half of the stuff girls worry about isn't of any concern at all, but we think it is, haha). It's sad that sometimes i find myself falling into that. pinch me if i do, k?

@emllewellyn said...

We are the same. SAME SAME SAME.