Sunday, January 20, 2008

Ode to being alone...

I realized this morning how long it's been since I've been on a date. Okay, so for "normal" people it wouldn't seem that long. But a month is a long time for me. Especially at BYU. It surprised me that it's been this long because, well, I haven't really noticed it. Since my last date (which, consequently, was a breakup) I've barely been able to catch my breath in between all the things that have been going on. A quick recap:
-"A Christmas Carol" at the Hale. Every other night is a big commitment. And it means that the other nights are packed pretty full with everything I had to put off for the show. It paid well enough though.
-Finals. Yeah, college...
-Christmas Break. This was a relaxing week, but certainly no dating went on. Really, there aren't any prospects in Sacramento. Not that I've looked; perhaps the very fact that I'm only there occasionally and for a week at a time has something to do with it. Anyway, Christmas was great.
-Student SLAM. My most exciting writing "gig" to date. I flew back early from Sacramento in order to do this and boy was it worth it. I don't think I've ever been that stressed though.
-The start of the new semester. Boy did my professors decide to just jump in there and get us started. It makes me wonder how things will be by the end.
-Writer's block. Since the semester began, actually. Until last night I hadn't really made much progress in writing since SLAM. I'm doing better now.
-"Here to There." BYU's devised theatre project. About four hours of rehearsal a day which means I have to be pretty creative about when homework, writing, and the other essentials of life fit in.
Okay, so, you know, a lot. No time to date. My confidence such as it is, I figure any romantic success will require some serious concerted effort on my part and some sort of serendipitous miracle. Therefore, I'm single. Single in a transient sense. It certainly could be worse. In fact, I realize that if my social situation were much different I would have missed out on a lot of opportunities. So it would have to be worth it.
WANTED: Someone for whom I am willing to sacrifice participation in some pretty cool stuff. I'm not saying it won't happen, I'm simply saying that it hasn't yet. And for that reason I spend my Friday nights at rehearsals and my Saturdays at home writing.
In the meantime, however, I'm happy about how my life is going. Things are really shaping up for me and maybe now is the time to seize the opportunities for which I probably won't have much time in the future. I'll keep my eyes open though...

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Some times are alone times, and they're good. Other times are together times, and they're also good. It comes and goes, and the trick is to be happy with yourself and where you are no matter what. Sounds like you're just fine. :)