Friday, June 19, 2009

This is all that I ask for:

(A record store. Matthew is browsing the used DVD’s. He looks frustrated. Girl approaches.)

GIRL
That’s a good one.

MATTHEW
Huh?

GIRL
“Annie Hall.” Isn’t that...
(Gets a closer look at the DVD case.)
Oh, “Annie.”
(Suppresses a laugh.)

MATTHEW
Yeah, I was just...

GIRL
No, no. By all means...

MATTHEW
Really, I was just looking to see when it was made.

GIRL
Uh huh.

MATTHEW
I wasn’t going to buy it.

GIRL
Because you already have it.

MATTHEW
Oh, come on.

GIRL
Or, let me guess, present for your girlfriend?

MATTHEW
If I had one of those, she wouldn’t be a fan of movies like this.

GIRL
Uh huh.

MATTHEW
You totally don’t believe me.

GIRL
No, I do.
(He gives her a look.)
Really, I do.

MATTHEW
(Handing her a DVD.)
Here’s “Annie Hall.” I mean, if you were looking for it.

GIRL
Oh, I wasn’t. I just...

MATTHEW
...couldn’t help noticing me noticing “Annie Hall?”

GIRL
Sorry, was that weird of me?

MATTHEW
No.

GIRL
Yeah, it was. And now you’re all embarrassed and denying your love of musicals...

MATTHEW
(Putting “Annie” back on the shelf.)
You’re not gonna let that go, are you?

GIRL
Really, I don’t usually...approach people like that.

MATTHEW
Well, for the record I love “Annie Hall.”

GIRL
Me too, I watched it when I was younger but I didn’t really get it. You know?

MATTHEW
Yeah, I was that way with “Ghostbusters.”

GIRL
You know I’ve never actually seen that whole movie?

MATTHEW
What?!

GIRL
I know!

MATTHEW
No way!

GIRL
It’s one of those that no one watches now because they’ve all seen it, you know? I think it’s on my Netflix queue.

MATTHEW
Yeah, I use that line. It’s alright, you know? You don’t have to watch it, I guess.

GIRL
Well, thank you.

MATTHEW
But you’re missing out. I actually just watched “Annie Hall” this afternoon.

GIRL
For the first time?

MATTHEW
Yep. I’ve been watching a lot of movies lately, got surgery last week.

GIRL
Oh really? What kind of surgery?

MATTHEW
(Beat.)
How about we change the subject?
(They laugh.)
Sorry, I don’t know why I brought that up.

GIRL
I don’t know why I asked. I don’t really need to know.

MATTHEW
You don’t want to know.
(Beat.)
So...

GIRL
(Looking at “Annie Hall.”)
You know what I love about this movie? That montage at the end, with Diane Keaton singing and, you know, all the cheesy moments from the movie.

MATTHEW
Yeah.

GIRL
I don’t know. And you remember all of that started with a game of tennis, and she gave him a ride, and it all went from there. It’s just interesting, you know, thinking you can find someone to...give yourself to. And it’ll be something so simple. I mean, in the movie...
(Beat.)
It’s a good one.

MATTHEW
Yeah...What’s your name?

GIRL
Jordan. And...

MATTHEW
Matthew.

JORDAN
Nice to meet you. Uh, yeah. I recommend that one.
(Starts to move off.)

MATTHEW
Anything else?

JORDAN
(Turning back.)
What?

MATTHEW
I mean, other recommendations?
(She gives him a perplexed look.)
Sorry, just...

JORDAN
Well, I looked through most of these used ones. Not much here.

MATTHEW
Yeah the buy two get one free thing presumes we can find three we want to take home.

JORDAN
Exactly.

MATTHEW
I actually did a couple times.

JORDAN
Me too.

MATTHEW
We must have snatched up anything worth buying.

JORDAN
Right.

MATTHEW
I mean...
(Looking at the DVD’s.)
“The Love Guru.” Really?

JORDAN
And the, what, seventh “American Pie” movie? How many of these do we need?

MATTHEW
It’s for a generation raised on “Land Before Time.”

JORDAN
(Laughs.)
Right.

MATTHEW
Yeah, this was a bust, I think.

JORDAN
Better luck next time.

MATTHEW
Hey, uh...This is kind of...But, what are you doing tonight?

JORDAN
It’s 9:45.
(Beat.)
Nothing so far.

MATTHEW
I mean, I could get your number and call you up, ask you out, and we could have a great time. But, what about now?

JORDAN
I’m intrigued. You didn’t have any plans tonight?

MATTHEW
Well, I was going to eat a pizza by myself, watch “Citizen Kane,” and probably write a blog about our society’s abysmal taste in movies.

JORDAN
Sounds like fun.

MATTHEW
Actually, I’d probably think about writing a blog but I’d just end up falling asleep watching “How I Met Your Mother” episodes from a sketchy Japanese website.

JORDAN
Side Reel?

MATTHEW
Wow, how embarrassing that you know that.

JORDAN
So, what did you have in mind?

MATTHEW
Uh, I...My plan really only got as far as “Wanna go out.” Do you like food?

JORDAN
I love it. I had dinner a couple hours ago, but...

MATTHEW
How about we split an app sampler at Applebees?

JORDAN
Ooh, that sounds great. Do you like the mozzarella sticks?

MATTHEW
They’re all yours.

JORDAN
Hmmm, maybe we could sub more buffalo wings.

MATTHEW
That’s what I like to hear.

JORDAN
Then what?

MATTHEW
Ummm...

JORDAN
See where the evening takes us?

MATTHEW
(Laughs.)
Wow, I’ve never tried that.

JORDAN
Neither have I.

MATTHEW
Sounds great.
(They walk together out of the store.)
Funny story, I was there with my buddy the other day and he thought our waitress was cute, but he was afraid she saw him checking out this other waitress...
(They exit.)

6 comments:

Zobell said...

Your best play yet.

Eric said...

Scene 1 - Day - Eric's Bedroom
As Eric sits in his bedroom, he reads Facebook updates on his laptop.

(Fade In)

Eric
I was so ready to lookup Jordan on stalker-net and FB for you. You really did have a lonely Friday night, didn't you? (So did I) :-) BTW, we need to chat.

(Fade Out)

Julie Wilding said...

Niiiiiiiiiiice. I like her already. Go find her.

Jessica said...

I want you to know that I am severely offended because Annie was my favorite movie growing up and we own it. On DVD. Which means we made a point to buy it when it came out on DVD. It is now one of Madison's favorite and both her and Ethan belt out tomorrow any chance they get. I'm offended.:P

Darick said...

WOW... She was cute... she was cute...

lisacharlie said...

Nice. Biographical?